Zorro Links
Newest Posts
blogherenowcenter
by 3s05bmmc. 06/05/24 06:08
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 853 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19057 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Modo 301 #184683
02/19/08 20:18
02/19/08 20:18
london uk/ paris
S
sueds Offline OP
sueds  Offline OP
S

london uk/ paris
Hi does anyone has ever try modo ?

I discover this amazing tool and I would like to know if I only have a good impression or does it really good.

thanks

Re: Modo 301 [Re: sueds] #184684
02/19/08 20:31
02/19/08 20:31
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

i use modo and like it a lot. it has some very nice workflow ideas. for most modeling, sculpting, texturing and rendering tasks it's a joy to use.

there also are some disadvantages though. it's one of the more buggy tools and crashes sometimes. there is no real construction history or modifier stack (for example if you extrude or clone something along a curve you can't go back later to edit the curve). you can't do character animation (yet).

Re: Modo 301 [Re: ventilator] #184685
02/20/08 15:25
02/20/08 15:25
Minbar
M
MaxF Offline
Serious User
MaxF  Offline
Serious User
M

Minbar
Hi

I use Modo 301 a lot and love it, very easy to use

It crashes every 2 weeks or so, I hope they will fix that very soon.

But it is a very good program

Re: Modo 301 [Re: MaxF] #184686
02/20/08 15:38
02/20/08 15:38
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
I am an avid Modo user. The program rarely crashes on me at all. It seems that Modo can be finicky depending on the computer setup. I can go through an entire modeling session (model, UV map and 3D paint) with no crashes.

It has an extremely streamlined and intuitive way of modeling and some extremely powerful tools to do just about everything. With v301, you even get a form of 3D sculpting in a traditional modeling environment, which is very nice.

One of the things that I like about Modo is that you can paint in 3D, including painting both bump and displacement/normal maps. Using Modo's Advanced OpenGL view you can see the displacement/normal maps actual displace the geometry in real-time. This is great for creating 3D game content.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: Modo 301 [Re: MaxF] #184687
02/20/08 15:48
02/20/08 15:48
F
Fenriswolf Offline
Fenriswolf  Offline
F

Thank you for the info!

A short while ago I wanted to check this program out, but obviously Windows Vista is not yet supported and besides there isn't a free trial version.

As Blender is the only modeling program I am familiar with, I would be glad if somebody could compare these to programs.

Are they similar in respect of features?
Probably modo has better performance when it comes to sculpting.
Judging from the modo feature videos it has also better texture painting abilities.

Re: Modo 301 [Re: Fenriswolf] #184688
02/20/08 16:01
02/20/08 16:01
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
There is not yet a free demo, but there is something just about as good. There is a $25 modo training pack that has a set of introductory videos walking you through virtually every aspect of modo. With the training material you get a demo of modo 301. So, for $25 you get the training material and 30 day demo that is fully functional (including saving/exporting models of any polygon count). You are NOT paying for the demo (it is free), but for the training material.

While Luxology is not directly supporting Vista yet, the program runs perfectly well on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista editions. I am run my copy of modo on Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) and have no problems. The thing that can cause modo the most problems is which video card you have and this is mainly dependent on which driver you have installed.

Modo and Blender are similar in that they both are modeling programs with a lot of features. In one way Blender is ahead of modo in that it allows for full animation. Modo currently only allows for key frame animation. However, character animation is planned for future releases. Modo is a new tool that was originally released as a modeling-only app and has, since its initial release, grown to include advanced rendering, 3D painting, advanced UV mapping, sculpting and not basic animation.

In my opinion, modo is way more of an advanced modeler than Blender is. Modo is truly a professional tool and this is reflected in the price. This is not to say that Blender cannot be used professionally. It certainly can. However, I simply find that I can do A LOT more in modo and do it A LOT more QUICKLY and, more importantly, A LOT more EASILY.

HyperGraph Studios
Re: Modo 301 [Re: Fenriswolf] #184689
02/20/08 16:11
02/20/08 16:11
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

i use both, modo and blender.

blender has a lot more animation features and other things modo lacks like a modifier stack, a compositor,...

blender doesn't support ngon modeling yet but they are working on it. this was the main reason i got modo. i originally come from maya and can't get used to the quad limitation for most modeling tasks.

modo has a better renderer (though the blender renderer can do some things the modo renderer can't do) and the painting tools are better too. the blender painting tools will be improved during project apricot i think.

the sculpting performance is about the same for me but modo sculpting works a bit differently. it's image based and during sculpting you can enable a bump mapping shader so it looks as if you are working with more polygons than there actually are.

modo still lacks a 64bit version.

Re: Modo 301 [Re: ventilator] #184690
02/20/08 17:04
02/20/08 17:04
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Quote:

the sculpting performance is about the same for me but modo sculpting works a bit differently. it's image based

Actually, this is not quite correct. Nodo has three different sculpting modes. One is mesh based and the other two are image based. The mesh based sculpting cannot come close to pushing the number of polygons that a program like ZBrush does in its hybrid environment. So mesh-based sculpting in modo is mainly for making larger sculpts and not fine details. The two image based sculpting modes are for fine details and use what are called micro-polygons for details. Image based sculpting is slow for large sculpts and so mesh-based works best for that. Mesh-based is slow for fine details (because you would have to have zillions of polygons for this) and so image-based is best.

However, you can use mesh-based to affect the mesh and convert image-based sculpts to displacement maps via baking.

HyperGraph Studios
Re: Modo 301 [Re: Dan Silverman] #184691
02/20/08 17:28
02/20/08 17:28
london uk/ paris
S
sueds Offline OP
sueds  Offline OP
S

london uk/ paris
For firts glance I thing modo's painting tool are a way beyond blender and most of the program. I've been playing around since yesterday even if blender remains free I cannot get use to its interface, even if was using if for the normal map baking. but the fact that you can paint on th uv directly or the bump painting is somthing incredible. the internal renderer also is far beyond blender's. I mean in blender i never achieve some good result with the light and also the AO is not a real one, it's more somthing tricky. But anyway, I'm happy to ear about people with more experiencies on it.

What about the exporters plug ? Someone is using it to make some games ?

so even if bought modo, I'll still need zbrush ?
I already have it but I cannot stand the zmapper

Re: Modo 301 [Re: Dan Silverman] #184692
02/20/08 17:37
02/20/08 17:37
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

i know how sculpting works in modo.

mesh based sculpting works on the geometry you can also access for modeling. the vector displacement image used with image based sculpting affects the tesselated subdivision surface geometry (and micro polygons when using the renderer).

in blender you only have mesh based sculpting but with a multi-resolution mesh which is much faster than the same amount of editable polygons would be in modo. you can switch to different mesh resolutions which initially get calculated similarly to subdivision surfaces.

modo's and blender's methods are quite similar in regards of the actual geometry resolution you can reach in the viewport.

but there are some disadvantages and advantages of each method. for example you will never have problems with seams in blender. in modo the advantage is that the sculpting data is decoupled from the geometry.

another thing is that in my opinion the blender retopology modeling tools are nicer than what you can do in modo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de