Help with Importing environment workflow.

Posted By: solidsnakejn

Help with Importing environment workflow. - 09/12/12 00:52

Hello all.
I am new here and would like help from you guys. I'm developing a medieval town with several houses and would like to know the best way to export it to 3DGameStudio.
Can I export the whole environment?
I export each house individually and organizes them in engine?
What's the best way?
Thanks.

Re: Help with Importing environment workflow. - 09/13/12 20:24

Anyone?
Posted By: Aquilis

Re: Help with Importing environment workflow. - 09/13/12 20:43

It would be better to export the models individually and place them in your map in WED. This way, the engine will load only the visible models, not the whole huge model, LOD chains could be applied and different properties and materials can be applied to each house.
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: Help with Importing environment workflow. - 09/13/12 22:11

*signed* this is the best way you could choose. Also, if you have an very big enviroment you would break the 64k vertices "line". So you model can't be displayed in the Engine (DirectX limitation).

Regards Sebastian

Re: Help with Importing environment workflow. - 09/14/12 01:03

Thanks for the responses. Just do not get the 64K vertices. Correct me if I'm wrong but this would give approximately 20K tris? This is the limit for each model or the whole level?
Posted By: sivan

Re: Help with Importing environment workflow. - 09/14/12 06:58

each model

Re: Help with Importing environment workflow. - 09/18/12 13:08

Thank you all.
Here are some ups.

For every home I'm using only 1 2048x2048 texture. I still have to texturing the props. To the streets and sidewalks I'm thinking of using 1 map of 1024 or 512 each.
Now my concern is the maximum number of texture that I use in every level. Someone could me Reply?
Another thing is that I wanted to know is if you can change the diffuse colors of the textures in the engine. For example turn those walls white plaster in yellow (as in UDK. As seen at 2:20 minutes of video: http://youtu.be/0Mn7QPtS4cc?t=2m15s). So I would keep the same model without having to create a new texture, and thus save memory. Is It Possible?
Sorry so many questions but I can not get the answers in the documentation.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Help with Importing environment workflow. - 09/18/12 13:44

you can set and thus change different materials of each entity skin, so ambient, diffuse, specular, emissive are easily can be managed runtime
Posted By: Reillin

Re: Help with Importing environment workflow. - 09/19/12 04:47

Those models look amazing

Re: Help with Importing environment workflow. - 09/19/12 17:16

Originally Posted By: Reillin
Those models look amazing

Thanks! grin

Someone could help me with the questions?
© 2024 lite-C Forums