Die's World

Posted By: Pappenheimer

Die's World - 06/27/10 01:45

This are some questions to the native speakers.

What did you think when you read the headline of this thread?

It is the translation of the German name of my homepage, but the singular of dice is written exactly the same as 'to die', so it looks kinda odd to me, but, maybe, a native speaker doesn't feel like that.

How does a sentence like this sound to you:
'when a die falls into the world, he can't see the number that makes his fate, he has to sort out his number on the way, collecting hints by the reaction of the others'?
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 11:44

I'm not a native speaker, but to me it looks like a spelling or grammatical error. grin
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 11:56

It does seem odd, because by-and-large native English speakers are bad at English, and will call a die "a dice".

Is it necessary to use it in the singular? Is it only one die in this world?

Jibb
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 12:15

Yep, actually your wording would probably work just fine in early 19th century English, but it looks strange because of its similarity with die as in "to die" or generally when I think of die as a noun I am thinking of the die used to cast metal stamps in

Quote:
Cutting die (Mech.), a thin, deep steel frame, sharpened to a cutting edge, for cutting out articles from leather, cloth, paper, etc.

In my opinion it would be much more effective to say: "When a dice falls into the world..."
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 12:29

I agree with Nitro, being a native myself.

Unless of course you feel like putting...
"When a multi-faceted random number generator falls into the world..."
but that would sound silly....
Posted By: Error014

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 12:30

I'm with JulzMighty here and would only use plural: "When dice fall into this world, they cannot see ..." etc.

But then, I'm no native speaker and probably wrong on approximately ninety-eight percent of all things I comment on.

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 12:34

Thanks for your feedbacks!

Does "Dice's World" sound convenient? Or does it sound somewhat displaced as well?
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 12:49

Ugg, "dice's world" sounds strange too whereas "dice world" sounds ok to me. I am of course no English expert also, just reading a few pages of a Charles Dickens book a few days ago has proven that to me. All I know is what "sounds right" or even worse what "looks right" which is all subjective based on individual perception from growing up in Eastern US.

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 13:03

Do you mean "dice's" as in "belonging to someone named dice"?
or "containing more than one dice"?

To me, "Dice World" sound cleaner to me... And Im from Oztralia...
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 13:16

the apostroph is placed if it describes the belonging of somebody. steve's car. but if you do it in plural, you do it without apostrophe: alot of steves.

so dice's world would be a world that belongs to one die, or as modern english says: dice.

if you do pkural, it should be dices world. however, i agree that dice world sounds better. its like world of dice (welt der würfel, welt des würfels, würfels welt in deinem fall) and thus, id say you should use that.

and while im not an expert my wife who studied anglistics agrees. and i trust ehr on that wink
Posted By: Error014

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 13:21

Quote:
the apostroph is placed if it describes the belonging of somebody. steve's car. but if you do it in plural, you do it without apostrophe: alot of steves.

Regarding the correct use of apostrophes, I always refer to this. (Not directly related to this topic, but still a nice link to post).
There's also one on the correct usage of "their" vs. "they're", but the one thing that really bugs me is the phrase "I could care less". I know it should be "I couldn't care less", but people say "I could care less" instead all the time. But that is wrong! It implies that it is possible for you to care less, thus you must care at least to some degree!
WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMORE IN A WORLD LIKE THIS

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 13:24

Here is one thing you can believe in Error014 ...

No-one who knows how to speak english, ... knows how to speak english!

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 13:55

Thanks for your help, and for your entertaining additions, as well! wink
"Dice World" and "World Of Dice" are both used over the internet, so I'm not sure that I can use them safely.
The German counterpart seems to be no problem.
Maybe, I should use something like "The Hidden World Of Dice" or "The Unknown Dice World", but that is too long.
Maybe, "Lost Dice". (Mm, maybe, I go for that.)
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Die's World - 06/27/10 15:07

lost dice and hidden world of dice are the best. use one of them

Re: Die's World - 06/28/10 00:46

How about "Roll of the Dice"

Otherwise, my preference is "Lost Dice"
Posted By: DC9

Re: Die's World - 06/30/10 01:19

The singular for dice is die. The statement "when a die falls into the world, he can't see the number that makes his fate, he has to sort out his number on the way, collecting hints by the reaction of the others" is correct for a single object, however English uses the concept of objects that do not have gender. A die is an object, a thing. To be grammatically correct the statement would be " When a die falls into the world, it can't see the number that makes its fate. It has to sort out its number on the way, collecting hints from the reaction of others."

The context of the statement makes it clearer that the reference is in regards to an object, however as NITRO777 indicated, a die can also refer to a mechanism for machining objects.

Using the plural of die (dice) further refines the context to something particular.

"Lost Dice" has a cool sound to it.

@Error014 - you're right. I hear it all the time. Another one is irregardless when people really mean regardless.
© 2024 lite-C Forums