Monthly Bandwidth

Posted By: AndrewSwallow

Monthly Bandwidth - 12/07/09 04:52

Not been here for over 2 years.

But to say hello.

How many GB do you guys download each month?

For the last three months:
24 Aug - 23 Sep : 98.99GB
24 Sep - 23 Oct : 162.09GB
24 Oct - 23 Nov : 188.3GB

So far from 24th November:
76.92GB

With 38GB yesterday alone.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/07/09 05:11

why would you download so much in a month? for what?
Posted By: ello

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/07/09 07:45

hd - film / musik torrents

wink
Posted By: Joey

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/07/09 08:51

that's illegal. i doubt that one would be able to download that much legally. this would be either very expensive considering the fact that a 5 mb mp3 costs about one dollar, or he spends years watching youtube hd videos over youtube. but that would be a waste of time...
Posted By: Quad

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/07/09 09:06

it is actually possible to legally download that much(40 gb in day is... idk). my highest bandwith usage was like 180gb a month, more than half of that(i guess it was ~110 gb) was downloaded from Steam. remaining part is my regular monthly usage(50 to 80 gb.). I have no idea what i download that much.[btw, 3 pcs are connected to internet(same connection), 2 are regularly used.]

my highest upload was around 60gb.(It was not illeagal tprrent seeding). It was one of the months that i needed to send in yearly/monthly projects, it was quite large in size and uploaded several times.

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/07/09 13:22

I have actually downloading my DVD collection, saves me encoding and stuff - so is indeed legal.

I pay just £20 a month for unlimited downloads.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/07/09 17:27

and we of course don't need to point out the obvious, but I'll say it anyway:

1080p HD Pr0n

cause that's what the internet is for.

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/07/09 20:53

isn't 90% of all internet traffic about... cute little kittens?

but not to break the topic again: i actually don't know how much traffic i have, but i guess it's about 20 gb.

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/07/09 23:14

Lol, Michael that reminds of of that singing group, forgotten their name... ah Avenue Q!

I can easily check with my ISP how much I've downloaded, it's pretty cool laugh

Also, I have to download a lot of videos and things for University, as it's a film course.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/07/09 23:39

Originally Posted By: AndrewSwallow
I have actually downloading my DVD collection, saves me encoding and stuff - so is indeed legal.

Paying your internet connection fees doesn't make it's use legal though. Downloading copyrighted material from torrent sites simply isn't legal.

In fact, to be honest, in a court they would probably say you should simply use your physical DVDs or make copies.

I'm not even sure if 'ripping a DVD' so you can transfer the contents onto a hard drive is technically legal.

With the whole new legal approach of interpreting copyrights as 'licenses', not 'ownership of a physical product', I think more often than not it's not allowed actually.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/08/09 00:00

Technically, in Germany (for example) it is allowed to make unlimited "private backups" of movies, programs, or other things you bought.

As long as you don't give it to anyone else, you're pretty much in the green.

The person who offers it to download is doing it illegally, but if you're downloading it while owning the actual thing, it's perfectly legal.

I'm sure that's not only like that in Germany.

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/08/09 00:13

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
Originally Posted By: AndrewSwallow

Paying your internet connection fees doesn't make it's use legal though. Downloading copyrighted material from torrent sites simply isn't legal.

In fact, to be honest, in a court they would probably say you should simply use your physical DVDs or make copies.

I'm not even sure if 'ripping a DVD' so you can transfer the contents onto a hard drive is technically legal.

With the whole new legal approach of interpreting copyrights as 'licenses', not 'ownership of a physical product', I think more often than not it's not allowed actually.

Yeah, I was just saying that its £20 as Joey said 5MB being $1.

Plus, I don't use torrents laugh
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/08/09 13:44

13 GB in the last month.

Re: Monthly Bandwidth - 12/08/09 16:20

Originally Posted By: AndrewMoX
Yeah, I was just saying that its £20 as Joey said 5MB being $1.

5MB for one legal mp3 download from iTunes or something similar costs 1$, I haven't said that 5MB bandwidth costs 1$.

And afaik in Germany you're only allowed to make unlimited private copies if there's no copy projection applied to the medium. So ripping CSS DVDs would be illegal.
© 2024 lite-C Forums