A7 with OpenGL?

Posted By: Pappenheimer

A7 with OpenGL? - 07/17/07 16:29

I wonder wether it is possible to add the option to the engine to run with OpenGL, because it could run on MAC and Linux as well!?

EDIT:

Sorry, I should search the forums first, too!
Found JCLs answer, where he said that they thought about that, but decided that it isn't worth the effort.
Posted By: Thracian

Re: A7 with OpenGL? - 07/18/07 18:30

I agree with Pappenheimer. I myself think to change the engine just because of the "Linux feature", but by now i didnīt find a alternative suited for me. So: I think it is worth the effort and i really hope that this feature will come.
I can imagine that this will cost lots of work hours, but it wouldnīt just make 3dgs more attractive but also more valueable.
Since i personally aim for a linux-only pc, i hardly would buy A7 just because of this error.
So, i hope that this feature will come one day, that would be also a killerreason for the professional as well.
Posted By: ello

Re: A7 with OpenGL? - 07/18/07 20:34

if i understand it right, you can already use ogl with lite-c
Posted By: Dyc

Re: A7 with OpenGL? - 07/18/07 20:52

Yeah but it's like saying "you can use directx with c++"
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: A7 with OpenGL? - 07/18/07 21:03

Well, most of the users are developing games which are obviously played by users of windows. I don't think porting to OpenGL is worth the effort. The times when games supported DirectX, OpenGL and DirectX are gone. I personally would prefer conitec to put their effort in realsising the forecast features, especially the 2D improvements like speeding up the rendering of true type fonts etc.

Additionally users of Linux can use DirectX distributions for Linux like e.g. WineX.
Posted By: FBL

Re: A7 with OpenGL? - 07/18/07 21:50

While DirectX is pefectly fine for Windows projects, it is out of question that a less strict binding to DirectX might open up the door to a real multiplatform engine.
This step however needs someone, who REALLy needs it and is willing to get the required money for development together.

Most people who demand things like Wii support etc. neither have the big AAA game nor the team to realistically get such a project working. No offense meant - it's simply the truth everybody should accept.
Posted By: Thracian

Re: A7 with OpenGL? - 07/19/07 15:15

First of all: 3dgs with WineX is working, but very unstable and with lots of bugs, so no alternative.
For me OpenGL wouldnīt be important for selling or something like that, but simply for using 3dgs with Linux, even if the games would never come to a status where they can be sold.
© 2024 lite-C Forums