model quality

Posted By: CharlieAmer

model quality - 06/16/09 19:31

hello,
I have a google sketchup pro 7, and have exporters.
I need a Lamborginhi Diablo for my game, and I have a model, but it has too much triangles when I export it to 3DS format, and even MED begin to lag.

How can I reduce triangles count of the model ??? (in google sketchup or in MED).
And I don't want to download models with small triangles count, because their geometry (of models I found) are bad. Any help is appreciated. (this model doesn't include any textures).

EDIT: oh yes, I tried to smooth/soften edges, some of polygons are reduced, but still too much of them ...
Posted By: Carlos3DGS

Re: model quality - 06/16/09 20:35

Originally Posted By: CharlieAmer
"How can I reduce triangles count of the model ???"
"And I don't want to download models with small triangles count"

I am confused, it seems you want to reduce the triangle count withought having to reduce the triangle count? Did I understand you correcly? If so I am afraid that is impossible... If you want to reduce the number of polygons, then you will have to use less polygons. If you dont want to use less polygons, then you cant reduce the amount polygons.

Oh and by the way, when you apply the tool smooth/soften edges in your modeler you actually create more polygons (lots more), it is not recommended.

Re: model quality - 06/16/09 20:54

lol, I thought I was clear laugh

anyway, I thought polygons and triangles are same (are they???), so, I just want smaller number of triangles, if it is possible, how to do it ?
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: model quality - 06/16/09 21:43

cut you model in half wink

There are programs that can reduce the polygon-count,

but better is to manually merge polys to reduce the polycount.
But that is work then of course.

Another way is to use the high-poly model as base,
and Model-around a new polygonmesh, using the
polys effectively to have a good shape with low polycounts.

In then end, a good texture is what counts, as a texture
can take up a lot of details that dont need to be modeled
then.

Re: model quality - 06/17/09 08:55

oh, that helps a lot, thanks. smile
Posted By: Masterchief_JB

Re: model quality - 06/17/09 13:39

IF you need help encore, I can retopologize the model for you, just email it to me and I will see what I can do.

Re: model quality - 06/22/09 09:15

I already did it smile thx for help.
© 2024 lite-C Forums