vertical sync

Posted By: Machinery_Frank

vertical sync - 10/26/06 13:23

Hi,

I often wondered why all my A6 stuff (especially when blocks come into play) did flicker at my system. I worked with this issue 2 years now.

And today I found out that I can switch v-sync in my graphic cards options to "allways on". So it suddenly stopped.

But here is my question: I know from some commercial engines that you can switch it on and off. Is there a possibility to do that with an A6 command right in the main wdl when initializing the engine?

If not then this might be an idea for a future upgrade.

Best regards,
Frank
Posted By: jcl

Re: vertical sync - 10/26/06 13:37

Vertical synchronization is active in Fullscreen mode and inactive in Window mode. It does not make much sense to switch the Vsync off, so we don't offer this possibility although some engines do. This, however, has no influence on the hardware settings of your 3D card.

Re: vertical sync - 10/26/06 13:45

Hm, I don't understand this. I could show you that there is even in full screen mode a flickering that disappears when I switch v-sync on in the direct-x properties.

So I am quite sure that v-sync is not always switched on in full-screen mode.

Maybe this is an issue of only a few users. But I have this problem with both of my 2 pc's with ATI Radeon 9500 and Geforce 6800 GT.

Re: vertical sync - 10/26/06 14:00

I believe you that your hardware doesn't sync, but I can't help it unless you send me your PC.

Again: an engine can only control Vsync settings in DirectX, but can not somehow "remote control" your driver settings. You've switched Vsync off in your driver, so you need to switch it on again.

Re: vertical sync - 10/26/06 14:55

No. It was not switched off. It was switched to automatic. So I believed that the application is repsonsible to set it on and off.

Strange.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: vertical sync - 10/26/06 15:14

I can also set it to automatic, and it is not synced in 3dGS.
Does DirectX give the engine the opprotunity to
set it to synced, whenever the driver is on automatic?
What is "automatic" reacting on?
Must be some sense behind this automaticsetting...

Re: vertical sync - 10/26/06 15:28

I'd normally also suppose that "automatic" means that DirectX is responsible for the setting. But apparently not. Maybe you'll find a description in the driver manual?
Posted By: FBL

Re: vertical sync - 10/26/06 17:18

I can reproduce the above mentioned behavior. Nvidia Geforce 7900GT

BTW: The problem with A6 resizing any browser/explorer/other application windows when going full screen on lower resolutions still persists - for both A5 and A6.
Posted By: broozar

Re: vertical sync - 10/26/06 18:55

problem exists on my GF6800 as well.
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: vertical sync - 10/26/06 20:56

problem on my system aswell:
ATI Radeon X800XT (All in Wonder)
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: vertical sync - 10/26/06 23:51

I've got it set to automatic, but vsync works fine here ..

Cheers

Re: vertical sync - 10/27/06 08:24

Maybe drivers have a different understanding what "automatic" means? I'll add this to my internal knowledge base and will mention it in the manual.
Posted By: Jered

Re: vertical sync - 10/29/06 08:43

Hmm Firoball, mentioned that the other aps get resized when you switch the 3dgs game over to full screen....this is the case with me as well. What exactly causes this? If it was an issue in a5, why haven't we got that fixed in a6? Or is that something that is really not inportant enough to fix? I also get the same behavior reproducable that was mentioned above when setting it to automatic
© 2024 lite-C Forums