looking through different engine specs, have quest

Posted By: wishdragon

looking through different engine specs, have quest - 02/16/06 18:04

I have right now narrowed my search for what I want between two engines.

The one here, and the coming Torque Shaders Engine.

The plan is to make a mmorpg.

Those of you that have used this engine and have used the torque as well, what do you prefer about each and why?
Posted By: capanno

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/16/06 20:57

This topic has been discussed before, I reccomend you use the search function and search for it. I think it was called A6 or Torque? Something in that direction.
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/16/06 21:10

From what I've read, Torque doesn't have a simple programming language as does 3DGS. If you don't know programming, 3DGS is decent. If you do, then it doesn't matter. 3DGS is very powerful. Experiment results have shown me 4 million polygons per second rendering rates are certainly possible in 3DGS.

These results are based on untextured grid models on my system (which has a 3GHz processor, Radeon 9600 XT video card (drivers from August 12, 2004), 512 MB RAM, and Windows XP Pro).
Posted By: Trev101524

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/19/06 02:15

wow, 3Ghz is hardly the "average" system, ulillillia . Given, they are much more common, but a good percent of the market will have 2Ghz or less. Perhaps you should retry the same test on a computer with lower specs, around 2.0-2.5 Ghz. As for the origional post, for an MMORPG, gamestudio would work, but you will either need the Pro version, or the Populace plugin. The reason being, commercial edition only allows 4 players in multiplayer games... Besides that, Gamestudio would be my choice, due to its ease of use, for both expierenced and novice users!

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/19/06 03:24

Quote:

wow, 3Ghz is hardly the "average" system, ulillillia . Given, they are much more common, but a good percent of the market will have 2Ghz or less. Perhaps you should retry the same test on a computer with lower specs, around 2.0-2.5 Ghz. As for the origional post, for an MMORPG, gamestudio would work, but you will either need the Pro version, or the Populace plugin. The reason being, commercial edition only allows 4 players in multiplayer games... Besides that, Gamestudio would be my choice, due to its ease of use, for both expierenced and novice users!

What I meant by "average" is that the processor and video card are from about the same time. If the processor was old (1 GHz) and the video card was new, the graph would peak more around the 5K and 10K marks. If the processor was new (3.8 GHz) and the video card was old, the peak could be more around 800 instead. Also affecting it could be your game's script and how you design it (which would shift the peak to a slightly higher value due to less processing power available). The experiment has an otherwise empty view with a simple script attached, extremely simple actually.
Posted By: indiGLOW

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/21/06 10:24

Also you have to consider that the spec Ulillillia specs, will most likely be entry level in the next 6-12 months. I purchased my 3Ghz pc 2 years ago now, so I think it is a realistic benchmark.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/21/06 10:38

Most PC users buy one computer and never upgrade it, and they probably won't buy another one ever unless they have to because of theft or damage. So, I don't think 3GHz is anywhere near average or entry level neither now nor 6 months from now. Only the hardcore and gadget people will fork over the dough or stay up to date.

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/21/06 10:44

I have run a gaming clan for 2 years, with a lot of members, 40+
Only 2 of them have had less than 3ghz PC's so I beg to differ

Most of the serious gamers I know think nothing of spending £300-£500 on a GFX card, and most of them are running bits of kit that put my PC to shame.

Again 90% of these guys are constantly rebuilding thier PC's adding new hardware and overclocking bits and bobs, looking for the best configuration. Our clan competed in 2 leagues and our team often got outspec'd.

I wonder if those of us who enjoy games, more so builders, are just not in as financially secure a position. When it comes to competative online play, I think you will see a much higher spec than 1-2Ghz CPU's with 512MB.

I would also like to say, that our gamers often took part in an online specification tester, and our team's PCs often rated in the top 20% of PC's around the world. So I may be speaking from a bias perspective, most of us upgrade or replace our PC's every 3 years.

Just my 2 cents, once more
Posted By: capanno

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/21/06 12:34

It depends who your catering for. If you go for everyone, like most people here do, your game will need to have below average graphics, and will automatically look like an indie project.

All commercial games target the above average to overkill PCs. The bar is raised, and most gamers dont even look at indie projects. This is my oppinion, and I will start a thread to discuss this in more depth.
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/21/06 12:53

Quote:

I have run a gaming clan for 2 years, with a lot of members, 40+
Only 2 of them have had less than 3ghz PC's so I beg to differ

...and I know about 20-25 people, in the real world, with PCs of varying speed and age, and only one of them has a PC faster than mine and they bought it because their aging laptop was stolen. Mine is a Pentium IV 2.4Ghz, and they have a 2.8Ghz. Most of the others are well under the 2GHz mark and all have onboard video/sound and tiny 14" monitors. I'm the only one with a 3D card.

So, I beg to differ, too.

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/21/06 16:57

lol so by my calculations, 40+ REAL people, dont make me show ya screen shots of em! lol - your 20-25 people puts me......at least 10-15 up!

Im doing a victory lap! Woot!

Like I said above, I expect this is simply a case of dedicated gamers probably spend more on their PC's than the rest of us and it really does depend on who your pitching your game at.

At the other end of the spectrum of course, I have clients (non game related), education sector, who are not even running P4 chips, most are on PII's and a few lucky ones have PIII's.

So lets face it its a broad market, pick your niché

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/22/06 06:10

The same peak point should also apply if one has a 1.5 GHz processor and Radeon 7000, or a 4 GHz processor and Radeon X1800. It's the balance that matters. The performance graph is based on my system which is sort of balanced. Memory, the hard drive speed, and programs running in the background also play a factor. When doing the experiment I closed whatever I could to free up memory which meant that I had to go offline to free up 140 MB memory from Firefox (the big one) and other programs I had running. I took the fastest values I could.

In otherwords, stick to models of about 1500 to 5000 polygons for best results. I need to run an experiment to find the peak with more precision than in the graph. The graph just gives the full range and isn't focused on anything special, just the limits of DirectX (and rendering speed).

Note: I'm assuming "balanced" as in the card and processor being of the same release dates (as in when they were first available). I don't know when the first 3.0GHz processors were released, but they should be somewhere around August 2004, which is in the range my video card (Radeon 9600 XT) was released.

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/22/06 12:54

It would be interesting to draw from a nice range of 'balanced' PC's to get an idea of how the graph would be expected to go. For example across 3 balanced platforms starting with a P1 lowest spec through to a P4 High spec, some kind of benchmark tool.

The data could possibly then provide a rolling expectation of performance chart that could allow you to plot your title and cross reference the recommended PC spec for your title.

Very interesting and certainly more research is needed in this area.

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/24/06 06:45

If I had such computers available, I'd do so, if it was legal though (the part of installing 3DGS on other computers without a team license is the big one). I've given my test subjects so you can test it yourself. All you need to do is take note of the kps value and average it out ignoring sudden drops. Then, given the numbers, I could plot them on that logarithmic graph I made. For some, especially with 3.8 GHz processors and the very latest video card, they could be getting 12 million polygons per second as their peak (a semi-random guess). My motherboard only has AGP available (no PCI-express like the newer cards only seem to have) so I can't get the newer cards without first swapping the current motherboard.

The hypothesis is that, with the processor, video card, and video card drivers from the same date of creation, the peak is going to be roughly the same. When an old processor is used with a new video card, the peak will be much higher (~6K) and when a new processor is used with an old video card, the peak will be much lower (~800). It's only a hypothesis though and not tested. I don't have such a test environment to doing this with so it'll be difficult for me to analyze and verify it.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/27/06 07:10

Quote:

12 million polygons per second

Though obviously peak polygon throughput is a theoretical domain, the newer cards and CPU combos ought to be capable of significantly more than that..I could say a GeForce 7800 and a 3.8 ghz cpu ought to be able to process several 100 million polygons. of course this would be untextured or at least without shaders.

The upshot of this is that raw triangle power is becoming less relevant. Pixel and vertex processing is key now, well as mesh batching.

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 02/27/06 11:40

I don't have such cards so this is only a guess I made. It doesn't hurt to run an experiment and find out, however.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: looking through different engine specs, have q - 03/11/06 07:10

Whoa wait, wait, wait, you guys. Shouldn't we stay on topic?

This topic, as wishdragon have started, is about choosing which engine (Torque or 3DGS) is right for him, not about Poly counts and Performance or average users who have computers with a 2-3.4GHZ processors. Right now, there are modern processors that don't go beyond 4GHz, as Intel have tried that sometime in 2003 and it failed; thus, Intel have started to scale back their clock speed and improve performance of the processors, on which AMD have already done, who have provided a lower clock speed like 2.4 or 2.6 GHz, but provides a medium to high-end performance. So clock speed has nothing to do with performance but in order to accommedate the clock speed, chipmakers will have to add more transistors (a switch which holds a value of 0 for off and 1 for on), increase cache size, and any other techniques to help improve performance of a processor and lower energy consumption. So in a conclusion, higher clock speeds don't mean higher performance. Plus, higher GPU clock speed doesn't equal to higher performance, either. You need to have a good understanding of how CPUs/GPU's work.

OK. Let's go back on-topic. Please?

@wishdragon:

Quote:

I have right now narrowed my search for what I want between two engines.

The one here, and the coming Torque Shaders Engine.

The plan is to make a mmorpg.

Those of you that have used this engine and have used the torque as well, what do you prefer about each and why?

If you're new to game developement, go with 3DGS.
© 2024 lite-C Forums